MY CIRCLE OF COURAGE

........MY CIRCLE OF COURAGE.......
In order to be a leader, you must act from unconditional love. In order to act through love, you must first love yourself. In order to love yourself, you must first love your actions. In order to love your actions, you must first love your feelings, thoughts, and behaviors. In order to love your feelings, thoughts, and behaviors, you must first love your qualities, character, and values. In order to love your values, you must first live by your values. In order to live by and love your values, you must first be caring, compassionate, forgiving, grateful, honest, loyal, dependable, and understanding. When you live and love yourself in this way, then you naturally become a leader because others will love you also!_Kelli Patterson

Saturday, August 27, 2016

TRUST is FREEDOM


Trust is key! To connect with ourselves and our higher power. To connect with others and form rewarding relationships. To connect with the community and the world around us, TRUST in ourselves, trust in what energy we put out into the universe, and trust in the workings of the world around us is the KEY to living a beautiful life!

Although many may disagree with my opinion on how an organization should be ran, views on policies, procedures, and laws, I have a strong vision about how I want to live my life and run my own non-profit someday.  Below I am going to share with you guys a reflection and post for a class in my masters program at Walden University about gaining public trust and policies/procedures/ethics.............




Public Trust and the Non-Profit Sector

            Many proactive measures and other practices can create a strong and trusting relationship between the public/community and an organization that serves client’s needs within that community. Proactive measures that were identified as good ways to keep public trust and respect include having a clear code of ethics and supplying comprehensive training for human services professionals within an organization and a human services manager/administrator holding their employees to a high level of expectation and integrity in the way they handle themselves, both, within and outside of the organization. (Producer, 2011). Other practices that can help an organization to maintain public trust and transparency include making sure that all employees are trained and have proper certifications for the job in which they are assigned, regularly scheduled audits (internal and external), maintaining the confidentiality of information in regards to clients and donor supports, and keeping accurate and detailed financial records. (Producer, 2011).

In my opinion, the three most important steps that I can take to maintain public trust within any organization in which I work would be to:

  1. Make sure that I am properly trained to carry out the duties and assignments in which I am expected to complete.
  2. Live by my standards and the “golden rule” which, in almost all circumstances, would allow me to behave in a rational, fair, smart, and ethical manor while role modeling the behaviors that I hope my clients would adhere to.
  3. Be sure to always admit my mistakes and errors while asking for the community and the organization’s feedback on how they think I could do better, what I may need to learn, considerations I may need to make, understand others perspectives, and be committed to growth while being authentic in my attempts to understand their feedback, try new methods, and practice actions in which all would agree would be beneficial to my ability to carry out my duties.
I truly feel that, even if one’s choices are not the best, if a person is true to who they are, honest in their communications/actions with others, have good intentions, and are willing to grow, even if others within the organization/community do not agree in the individual’s actions or have differences in opinion/practices, with authentic behaviors and transparency, the trust of those individuals within the community/organization will be maintained. As long as those factors are maintained, clear communication/dialogue can occur that will allow all parties to understand and personal & professional growth can occur which will allow for even further advancement and success of the organization and its employees.
When it came to this week’s video file, in my heart, I do not 100% agree with Andrea Ingram when she stated that too much closeness and familiarity with clients can lead to blurred boundaries and ethical problems for an organization. (Producer, 2011). Yes, I do understand that clear boundaries in the sense that there should be some definite do’s and don’ts (black and white), such as no taking money/gifts, not breaching confidentiality, no romantic relationships, no actions that would make a client dependent upon you, and no playing favorites, etc. I must disagree when she said that “we, as human services professionals should not be their friend because they are there for a service.” (Producer, 2011).  Although I know the code of ethics and when I am employed with any human/social services agency I abide by rules, policies, and codes of ethics that have been established by these organizations (and sometimes the state or nation), I hope to find a way to follow my own path and have an organization that does not have so many internal rules, policies, and procedures and hire individuals that have positive character traits, live by their heart rather than other’s laws or rules, and show compassion, friendship, trust, and a helping hand to anyone who needs it, for as long as they need it, and create a lifelong relationship where growth, learning, mentorship, role-modeling, and being the change that one wants to see in the world is at the center of everything we do. An organization where we can show unconditional love, support, and “FRIENDSHIP” while teaching and supporting one another.
In the organization I envision, there would be no worry when it comes to public trust because the actions of the employees, although maybe not perfect, always good intended, self-sacrificing, and authentic. There would be no favoritism or behaviors that would deliberately pose harm to the clients by those within our organization because our team of professionals would do what comes natural for them because they want what’s best for others and live by the golden rule. Never would they have to alter their behaviors in any way for the client or for the purpose of impressing anyone or gaining public trust,   because they have enough self-knowledge and awareness to know that they do not have to act in a certain way because they were told that they “should” or “have to,” but rather they are acting in ways that they have sought within and found to be true and right, with love, kindness, forgiveness, understanding, and the driving force to share that internal wisdom with others for as long as those people need it.
Although I know and fully understand the need for organizational codes of ethics, policies and procedures, and to abide by certain rules, I do feel as though there is a better way. Those laws, policies, codes of ethics, and rules were made because people were hurting one another, serving purposes of their own, and acting through thoughts of the ego. If we can help others to learn to get past those aspects, which were created out of fear and mistrust, and to live a life of trust, hope, and love, we will gain, in my opinion, much further ground than one ever would by focusing on obeying laws, rules, and policies.
One specific example of a time when I, as a human services administrator would have broken the organization policy where I worked a few years ago was when I went to my director and asked him if I could take the ABUNDANCE (and I mean abundance) of leftover food from the cafeteria and give it to the homeless people under the bridge on my way to school. I knew that the food got dumped in the trash every evening so I figured that we could really help by feeding hungry families. The director blatantly stated “no” while providing me with the reason being that “if anyone gets sick or claims to get sick off of the food, it was a liability for the organization.” Although I totally understand that that very fact could happen and cause extreme liability for the organization, if I were a human services leader, I would throw that caution to the wind and take the wide array of food to those needy individuals on a daily basis. Yes, I would know that there could be severe consequences, but I could choose to live out of fear and allow those people to go hungry or I could choose to live from love and hope and feed the many men, women, and children who needed it. I would never want to put my actions/liability on an organization to which I serve or another individual; however, if there ever came a chance for me to be that leader of an organization, my choice would be an easy one!
You see it everywhere, people getting sue crazy and claiming lawsuits to get rich, others deceiving people for their own benefits/financial gain, fighting and conflict over who is wrong and who is right, policies in the workplace to protect the assets and liability of organizations, laws being made that we shouldn’t even need because people should know better in the first place, etc. All of these were made out of fear of what others could (and may even and many times do) but our lives should never be lived over what “may happen” because then we are already thinking that it will, which many times means it does, and gives a negative energy out to the world and everyone around us. What actions would lead more to a lack of public trust than an individual giving out negative energy while showing a lack of trust for their coworkers/team to choose to make the right decision or organization’s ability to trust the community!   In my opinion, creating these laws and policies do just that, they scream “we do not trust you to show kindness and good willed intent to the neighbor and treat others how you would like to be treated.”
Again, I am not saying that it is not important to have a code of ethics in place; however, if we can get individuals to a point where they can do what is right without it, that is what we all should thrive to achieve. Maybe one day, I can achieve my dream of having my own organization that will allow me to throw all other methods, rules, policies, and procedures to the wind and build an organization where personal accountability, utmost personal character, and dedication to learning and growth are at the forefront, I also realize that in order to do so I will probably have to move out of the country because those damn federal laws regulate everything would most likely prevent me in  creating the future that I envision.  One thing is for sure, I must stay true to the person I am, accept others for who they are, and provide a safe, supportive, loving, and nurturing environment for everyone to belong and never will I lose the hope and faith in humanity to choose to do the right thing.

References
Laureate Education (Producer). (2011). Symbolic framework: Transparency and the public trust
            [Video file]. Baltimore, MD: Author.

No comments:

Post a Comment