MY CIRCLE OF COURAGE

........MY CIRCLE OF COURAGE.......
In order to be a leader, you must act from unconditional love. In order to act through love, you must first love yourself. In order to love yourself, you must first love your actions. In order to love your actions, you must first love your feelings, thoughts, and behaviors. In order to love your feelings, thoughts, and behaviors, you must first love your qualities, character, and values. In order to love your values, you must first live by your values. In order to live by and love your values, you must first be caring, compassionate, forgiving, grateful, honest, loyal, dependable, and understanding. When you live and love yourself in this way, then you naturally become a leader because others will love you also!_Kelli Patterson

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Love Is the Religion



In today's societies, it seems to me as not only do people view themselves as the center of the world, but also people tend to view their ways, culture, ideas, race, etc. as being better or above others.

There is a name for individuals like this and their practices, its called "ethnocentrism."

ETHNOCENTRISM, the definition:  characterized by or based on the attitude that one's own group is superior.

As people become self actualized (which can only be done through introspection), they should be able to realize just how much of a unique individual they are.  Exploring the meaning of "who am I?" should also help to make people aware of the same aspects and unique individuality's that make up the people in the world around us.

I could never think of myself as better than anyone around me, whether they are rich or poor, a doctor or a dropout, a homeless person or an owner of a mansion, a christian or an atheist.none of this matters, what does matter; however, is what is in a person's heart.  The aura and energies that a person puts off to the world around them is the most important determining factor in whether or not i am going to appreciate this person.  When a person is true to who they are, not falling into social norms or allowing themselves to be a product of their environment, it is a real breath of fresh air because these individuals are the ones who stay true to themselves, not ever allowing outside forces to change who they are as a person.  This is self confidence!

I think it is a good thing to always refrain from allowing yourself to be identified by the group that surrounds you, fall into a stereotypical category, or become involved in any type of cliques.  I have found, from my past experiences, that it is best to play neutral and not pick a specific side, clique, group, or culture because all that is going to do is limit your environments, social circles, and give you "tunnel vision."  I mean if you think about it, any group or label, a person will never fall under all the beliefs, theories, traits, or methods of a specific group or label...so why not choose to be you self, be unique, and mix and match all of the things in life that you agree with, truly agree and identify with, from your heart?

It is a liberating feeling...to allow yourself to be led by your heart....total 100 percent FREE WILL to live life just how you choose. 

I know that religion is one of those topics that seem to act as a barrier and separator of individuals, which is such a shame.  I know that I, myself, choose to pray to Jesus (i am a christian) however, i tend to relate so much more to the Indians (the Earth and it's elements), and my spirituality and many of my practices come from Buddhism and Taoism.  Why should i limit myself to only one type of religions practice?  Instead, i allow myself to try new things, experience new experiences, and really keep an open mind, and as i do this, i allow my heart and soul carry me and decide what practices work best for myself.  One thing is for sure and Ziggy Marley said it best...."LOVE IS MY RELIGION"

The only way that people are going to truly be happy in life is if they are able to decide what is best for themselves, not being told how to do things, who they should be, how they should think and behave, what religion to practice, how different social statuses should act, what they should be when they grow up, what college they should attend to, who they should date or marry, how they should dress, how they should raise their children, etc.  This is all BULLSHIT.  People should be able to look within and decide these things on their own. 

Much of my life i lived life in this way..how i thought i should act, who others wanted me to be, fit in with the crowds, make my parents proud, etc. and it did nothing but fill me with a feeling of confusion, i felt lost, and i felt like i could never  measure up.  Now, i play by my own rules..i decide all of these things and i have come to really know my strengths, my weaknesses, my abilities and gifts, my limitations, and what i desire out of life....for no other reason than it makes me happy, its who i want to be, where i want to go, how i want to act, and because it keeps me filled with that inner peace and contentment that i am living life on my own terms. 

Its funny because being raised just outside of Baltimore and DC, i grew up being exposed to all kinds of different cultures, races, religions, music, financial brackets, and much more.  I now realize just how lucky i was to be exposed to these things because it allowed me to experience many different things, people, and places which allowed me to have an open mind, be non judgemental, and brought so much beauty and variety into my life.  Since moving back to WV about five years ago, and working with at risk youth in placement, i have come to realize how sheltered people in this state are.  Many of these youth, in fact, were raised by very biased and ethnocentric families.  Being in this field of work, i am able to help expose these same children to some really neat things that i have learned while growing up, that hopefully will spark their interest to want to learn more and embrace diversity.  I know that one day i am going to have a huge family of my own, i plan to adopt, and i want a family with tons of color and culture.  I would love to have a child of every race and culture so that i can bring up these children with my same loving, compassionate, caring, and moral/ethical standards so that they can connect with others, from all over the world, and carry on our legacy.....to bring people together and show people the beauty in diversity, love, and acceptance.

Recently i had a little debate with someone over religion and how two people of different religions wouldn't last in a relationship.  Of course i had to disagree with that statement.  So then the person said, "well what about when you have children, you will fight about how you will raise them."

Well i have very strong feelings on this issue.  First of all, when you marry it is because you love them..for who they are as a person, their heart, their compassion, their humor, their morals, character, etc. and not for any other reason.  All else is irrelevant, people should be able to accept the opinions and views of a loved one if they love all the things i have just listed.  It is what is in the heart that matters.....Nothing more.  Okay, i am idealistic, and i DO BELIEVE THAT LOVE CONQUERS!

Back to my thoughts on religion...I do not think that i would have the same faith in my God had i been forced to believe in him or his practices.  My God led me to him..synchronocities, and small steps, he brought me to him, never through force, but through inspiration and spiritual wonders that could not be explained any other way than by the magic of God.  Looking back on my journey, God left me signs at every fork in the road and when i had faith in him, he showed me signs of his power, feelings within myself that were that above any kind of ecstasy that i have ever experienced.  It was as i was being filled with the nature of his being. Now there is no doubt in my mind as to who is my creator.

Had i been forced into church at a young age, and not discovered my God for myself, i cannot say that i would have the same total and complete faith and belief in him.  So this brings me to "someday" when i will raise my own children, i would never want to force (and especially argue) with my beloved on how to raise this child...i would rather my child find their God on their own.  And as far as arguing/fighting with a loved one is concerned...the only thing that i feel is ever worth my fighting for is:
 
1.  A person who is harming another (mentally, physically, emotionally)

or

2.  A person set out with negative or harmful intentions.. because i feel like all the rest of the things in the world that people argue about are only because they feel the need to prove a point due to their "i am the center of the world" perspective or ethnocentrism.

So, when you find yourself arguing with another person, i ask you to take a time out and think about what the person and your own intentions are <3

Please come to your own, become your own unique individual and allow the same respect for all the people in your life and in this world and learn to practice FREE WILL and blaze you own path!  Blessings.




No comments:

Post a Comment